A Chance to Help Kids' Mental Health
Child welfare agencies can do more than investigate families under suspicion of abuse or neglect of a child. They could help identify children at higher risk for mental health problems.
When Children Hurt Themselves
Although mental health conditions tend to be invisible, residing inside one's head, there are times when they show up as actual injuries, such as children who cut or injure themselves.
Growing Relationships A Child at a Time
It's a staple of mental and emotional health that you must know how to build and maintain healthy relationships with others. But foster students lack this luxury.
Prenatal Alcohol Exposure & Adaptive Ability
Exactly how does prenatal alcohol exposure slow down a kid’s cognitive ability? Compared to normal kids, they seem to have a much tougher time with ‘higher order’ thought process.
Comparing Medications for Bipolar in Teens
Bipolar disorder in children and teens is difficult to treat. Many medications on the market have not been tested in young people. A new study compares the safety and effectiveness of three drugs for bipolar disorder. Three medications, lithium, an antipsychotic, and a drug specifically approved for mania, were given to children and teens with bipolar disorder. After eight weeks of treatment, the antipsychotic Risperdal ( risperidone ) was most effective for symptoms of mania, but it also caused severe weight gain. Researchers recommend caution and close monitoring when using...
Is a Good Night's Sleep Enough
If your child is acting up at school or struggling to focus or learn, it may not necessarily be a psychiatric condition or learning disability. They might just be really, really sleepy.
Bigger Waistline Know Taglines
Think outside the bun for some finger lickin ' good food. Head for the border and have it your way. And if you recognized all those taglines , you might be more likely to be obese. Although past research has shown a link between TV watching and obesity, less evidence exists regarding possible links between obesity and fast food advertising. But an unpublished study recently presented at a conference offers just that. Limit your child's access to fast food. Auden McClure, MD, an assistant professor of the Department of Pediatrics at Children's Hospital at Dartmouth, led the ...
School's Problem with Obesity
It is not easy being obese. Children who are overweight have it especially difficult because little kids can be pretty mean. In fact, little bullies can actually make the weight problem worse. A new study shows that overweight and obese children may be liked less in school. The overweight children could respond to the negative social atmosphere by becoming less active and eating more. Limit TV and videogames: keep your child active! The study was led by Amanda Harrist , PhD, of Oklahoma State University. “If overweight children are disliked at school, they may be less like...
Arriving on Time Best for the Mind
Being born early or late already carries some health risks for both mothers and their newborns. Now there's evidence an early or late birth can worsen symptoms of children with autism.
How the Brain Learns Words
Is there a better way to teach language and reading to students who are struggling? Some teaching methods may be more affective than others for students who have difficulty with reading.
- Depakote (3) Apply Depakote filter
- Risperdal Consta (2) Apply Risperdal Consta filter
- Adderall (1) Apply Adderall filter
- Concerta (1) Apply Concerta filter
- Gralise (1) Apply Gralise filter
- Horizant (1) Apply Horizant filter
- Lamictal (1) Apply Lamictal filter
- Neurontin (1) Apply Neurontin filter
- Prozac (1) Apply Prozac filter
- Tegretol (1) Apply Tegretol filter
- Topamax (1) Apply Topamax filter
- Trileptal (1) Apply Trileptal filter
- (-) Remove Mental Health filter Mental Health
- (-) Remove Child Disorders filter Child Disorders
- Emotional Health (33) Apply Emotional Health filter
- Depression (31) Apply Depression filter
- Anxiety Disorders (26) Apply Anxiety Disorders filter
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (5) Apply Post Traumatic Stress Disorder filter
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (4) Apply Obsessive Compulsive Disorder filter
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (2) Apply Generalized Anxiety Disorder filter
- Social Anxiety Disorder (2) Apply Social Anxiety Disorder filter
- Panic Disorder (1) Apply Panic Disorder filter
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (23) Apply Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder filter
- Addictions (18) Apply Addictions filter
- Violence Prevention (16) Apply Violence Prevention filter
- Autism Spectrum Disorders (15) Apply Autism Spectrum Disorders filter
- Stress (13) Apply Stress filter
- Suicide Prevention (10) Apply Suicide Prevention filter
- Bipolar Disorder (9) Apply Bipolar Disorder filter
- Sleep Disorders (8) Apply Sleep Disorders filter
- Attention Deficit Disorder (5) Apply Attention Deficit Disorder filter
- Schizophrenia (3) Apply Schizophrenia filter
- Eating Disorders (2) Apply Eating Disorders filter
- Traumatic Brain Injury (2) Apply Traumatic Brain Injury filter
- Borderline Personality Disorder (1) Apply Borderline Personality Disorder filter
- Pediatrics (89) Apply Pediatrics filter
- Obstetrics/Gynecology (28) Apply Obstetrics/Gynecology filter
- Healthy Eating and Diet (9) Apply Healthy Eating and Diet filter
- Sleep Apnea Insomnia (8) Apply Sleep Apnea Insomnia filter
- Neuromuscular Disease (6) Apply Neuromuscular Disease filter
- Healthy Home (5) Apply Healthy Home filter
- Pulmonary Disease (4) Apply Pulmonary Disease filter
- Baby (3) Apply Baby filter
- Patient Safety Education (3) Apply Patient Safety Education filter
- Cancer (2) Apply Cancer filter
- Cardiovascular (2) Apply Cardiovascular filter
- Gastrointestinal (2) Apply Gastrointestinal filter
- Sexual Health (2) Apply Sexual Health filter
- Allergies (1) Apply Allergies filter
- Dermatology (1) Apply Dermatology filter
- Diabetes (1) Apply Diabetes filter
- Infectious Disease (1) Apply Infectious Disease filter
- Kidney Disease (1) Apply Kidney Disease filter
- Mens Health (1) Apply Mens Health filter
- Trauma (1) Apply Trauma filter
- Womens Health (1) Apply Womens Health filter
- (-) Remove Mental Health filter Mental Health