Purpose of Unisom
Unisom SleepGels and Unisom SleepMelts are over-the-counter medications used to relieve temporary sleeplessness and reduce the difficulty in falling asleep.
Unisom SleepGels: Diphenhydramine hydrochloride 50 mg
Unisom SleepMelts: Diphenhydramine hydrochloride 25 mg
Unisom SleepGels: Blue 1, gelatin, glycerin, polyethylene glycol, polyvinyl acetate phthalate, propylene glycol, sorbitol, titanium dioxide, water (245-189)
Unisom SleepMelts: Citric acid, ethylcellulose, flavor, hydroxypropyl cellulose, mannitol, microcrystalline cellulose, PVP, red 7, starch, sucralose, sucrose (245-236)
Unisom FDA Warning
- for children under 12 years of age
- with any other product containing diphenhydramine, even one used on skin
- a breathing problem such as emphysema or chronic bronchitis
- trouble urinating due to an enlarged prostate gland
Ask a doctor or pharmacist before use if you are taking sedatives or tranquilizers.
When using this product avoid alcoholic drinks.
Stop use and ask a doctor if sleeplessness persist continuously for more than 2 weeks. Insomnia may be a symptom of serious underlying medical illness.
If pregnant or breastfeeding, ask a health professional before use.
In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away (1-800-222-1222).
Adults and children 12 years of age and over: 1 softgel (50 mg) at bedtime if needed, or as directed by a doctor.
Adults and children 12 years of age and over:
- Take 2 SleepMelts (25 mg each) at bedtime if needed, or as directed by a doctor.
- Place 2 SleepMelts on tongue. Tablets dissolve with or without water.
- Allow SleepMelts to dissolve in mouth or chew before swallowing.
Unisom SleepGels and Unisom SleepMelts: For children under 12 years of age, do not use.