Sanctura XR treats symptoms of overactive bladder. Take on an empty stomach at least 1 hour before a meal. May cause dry mouth.
Sanctura XR Overview
Sanctura XR is a prescription medication used to treat an overactive bladder with the symptoms of urinary urgency, frequency, or leakage. Sanctura XR belongs to a group of drugs called anticholinergics. These work by relaxing the bladder muscles to prevent urgent, frequent, or uncontrolled urination.
This medication comes in capsule form. It is taken once a day in the morning. It should be taken with water on an empty stomach, at least 1 hour before a meal.
Common side effects of Sanctura XR include dry mouth and constipation.
Sanctura XR can cause blurred vision and drowsiness. Do not drive or operate heavy machinery until you know how Sanctura XR affects you.
Patient Ratings for
How was your experience with ?
Sanctura XR Cautionary Labels
Uses of Sanctura XR
Sanctura XR is a prescription medication used to treat an overactive bladder with the following symptoms:
- strong need to urinate right away
- leaking or wetting accidents due to a strong need to urinate right away
- a need to urinate often
This medication may be prescribed for other uses. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Sanctura XR Drug Class
Sanctura XR is part of the drug class:
Side Effects of Sanctura XR
Serious side effects have been reported with Sanctura XR. See the “Sanctura XR Precautions” section.
Common side effects of Sanctura XR include the following:
- dry mouth
- upset stomach
- dry eyes
This is not a complete list of Sanctura XR side effects. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Tell your doctor if you have any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Sanctura XR Interactions
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Especially tell your doctor if you take:
- medications that are secreted by the kidneys (e.g. procainamide, pancuronium, morphine, vancomycin, metformin and tenofovir)
- antacids such as those containing aluminum hydroxide and magnesium carbonate
- anticholinergic medications such as some allergy medications
This is not a complete list of Sanctura XR drug interactions. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Sanctura XR Precautions
Serious side effects have been reported with Sanctura XR including the following:
- heat prostration. Due to decreased sweating, heat prostration can occur when drugs such as Sanctura XR are used in a hot environment. Exercise with caution.
- interaction with alcohol. Do not drink alcohol within 2 hours of taking Sanctura XR. Alcohol can make the drowsiness worse.
- blurred vision and drowsiness. Sanctura XR can cause blurred vision and drowsiness. Do not drive or operate heavy machinery until you know how Sanctura XR affects you.
- severe allergic reaction. Sanctura XR has been reported to cause angioedema of the face, lips, tongue, and or throat.
In patients with narrow-angle glaucoma, Sanctura XR should only be used with careful monitoring. Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you have narrow-angle glaucoma.
Sanctura XR is not recommended to be taken by patients with severe kidney impairment (kidney does not function as well as it should).
Do not take Sanctura XR if you:
- are allergic to Sanctura XR or to any of its ingredients
- have trouble emptying your bladder
- have delayed or slow emptying of your stomach
- have an eye problem called uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma
Sanctura XR Food Interactions
Medications can interact with certain foods. In some cases, this may be harmful and your doctor may advise you to avoid certain foods. In the case of Sanctura XR, there are no specific foods that you must exclude from your diet when receiving this medication.
Before taking Sanctura XR, tell your doctor about all of your medical conditions. Especially tell your doctor if you:
- are allergic to Sanctura XR or to any of its ingredients
- have any stomach or intestinal problems or problems with constipation
- have trouble emptying your bladder or have a weak urine stream
- have an eye problem called narrow-angle glaucoma
- have kidney problems
- have liver problems
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if Sanctura XR can harm your unborn baby.
- are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if Sanctura XR passes into breast milk and if it can harm your baby. You should talk to your doctor about the best way to feed your baby if you are taking Sanctura XR.
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Sanctura XR and Pregnancy
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
The FDA categorizes medications based on safety for use during pregnancy. Five categories - A, B, C, D, and X, are used to classify the possible risks to an unborn baby when a medication is taken during pregnancy.
Sanctura XR falls into category C. There are no adequate and well-controlled studies of Sanctura XR in pregnant women. It is not known if Sanctura XR can harm your unborn baby. Sanctura XR should be used during pregnancy only if the potential benefit to the patient outweighs the risk to the patient and fetus. Women who become pregnant during Sanctura XR treatment are encouraged to contact their physician.
Sanctura XR and Lactation
Tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed.
It is not known if Sanctura XR crosses into human milk. Because many medications can cross into human milk and because of the possibility for serious adverse reactions in nursing infants with use of this medication, a choice should be made whether to stop nursing or stop the use of this medication. Speak to your doctor about the best way to feed your baby if you are taking Sanctura XR.
Sanctura XR Usage
Take Sanctura XR exactly as prescribed.
Sanctura XR comes in capsule form.
Take one Sanctura XR capsule daily in the morning with water.
Take Sanctura XR on an empty stomach or at least 1 hour before a meal.
Do not take alcohol within 2 hours of taking Sanctura XR.
If you miss a dose, take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and take your next dose at the regular time. Do not take two doses of Sanctura XR at the same time.
Sanctura XR Dosage
Take this medication exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully.
The dose your doctor recommends may be based on the following:
- the condition being treated
- other medical conditions you have
- other medications you are taking
- your kidney function
- how you respond to this medication
- your age
The recommended dose of Sanctura XR (trospium) is 60 mg in the morning.
Sanctura XR Overdose
If you take too much Sanctura XR, call your healthcare provider or local Poison Control Center, or seek emergency medical attention right away.
- Store Sanctura XR at room temperature, 68° to 77°F (20° to 25°C).
- Keep this and all medicines out of the reach of children.
- Safely dispose of Sanctura XR capsules that are out of date or that you no longer need.