Tarrytown Pharmacy, originally owned by Guy Kelly, opened its doors the day before Pearl Harbor Day on December 6, 1941 at 3310 Windsor Road (where Texenza Coffee currently stands). Soon thereafter Mr. Kelly sold the store to Gatewood Newberry, a local investor and businessman. In 1950 Gatewood sold the store to his younger brother Jack (J.D.) Newberry, who lived on Cherry Lane with his wife, Helen, and two children Brian and Neal. J.D. raised his family in Tarrytown, eventually moving to Mountain Laurel Lane to a development his uncle William Gatewood had established. J.D. and Helen had two more children – Keith and Sharon – and continued running the store until 1973.
That year, JD and Helen’s eldest son Brian and wife Judy purchased the store. Brian had graduated from The University of Texas College of Pharmacy in 1968 and spent 5 years gaining experience in chain stores and hospital pharmacies in Austin and Dallas. When Brian took over operations, he made the decision to remove the Soda Fountain and expanded the inventory. The pharmacy continued its legacy as a central gathering place for Tarrytown residents.
In 1986, Brian and his wife Gail moved into a larger space across the parking lot, next door to the Tarrytown Post Office. The move enabled the Newberrys to expand their gift, card, and cosmetic offerings, while maintaining efficient pharmacy operations.
Tarrytown Pharmacy continues to be owned and operated by the Newberry family – the third generation owner Mark Newberry, and his wife Leslie Newberry, are continuing in Brian and J.D.’s traditions of service, community, and dependability.
Tarrytown Pharmacy has been a backbone of the neighborhood, and the Austin community, for nearly 70 years. We regularly donate merchandise, time, and funds to local schools and charities and we pride ourselves in our community service – service that begins with our customers. We know their names and their families, and they know ours. Many of them have been shopping with us for five generations and we value their trust and loyalty.
Phone Number: 512-478-6419
Address: 2727 Exposition Blvd, Austin, TX 78703
Map: click here