Micafungin treats severe fungal infections. Is administered through the vein (IV). Rapid heartbeat, headaches, and skin rashes can occur with this medication.
Micafungin is a prescription medication used to treat infections caused by the Candida fungus. It is also used to prevent Candida fungal infections in patients who have received stem cell transplants. Micafungin belongs to a group of drugs called antifungals. It works by affecting a substance in the fungal cell wall, causing the cellular contents to leak out and the cell to die.
This medication comes as a powder to be mixed with liquid and injected directly into a vein (IV). It is usually given once daily, each injection taking at least 1 hour. It is sometimes necessary to take micafungin for several weeks.
Common side effects include nausea, vomiting, and headache.
How was your experience with Micafungin?
Uses of Micafungin
Micafungin is a prescription medication used to treat a variety of Candida fungal infections including:
- Candidemia (Candida in the blood)
- Acute Disseminated Candidiasis (Candida infection that has spread to one or more organs including the liver, kidney, spleen, eyes, brain, and heart)
- Candida Peritonitis and Abscesses (inflammation and pus in the area of the tissue that lines your abdominal wall and covers most of the organs in your abdomen caused by Candida fungus)
- Esophageal Candidiasis (infection of the tube that connects the mouth to the stomach caused by Candida)
Micafungin is also used to prevent Candida fungal infections in patients who have received stem cell transplants.
This medication may be prescribed for other uses. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Micafungin Brand Names
Micafungin may be found in some form under the following brand names:
Micafungin Drug Class
Micafungin is part of the drug class:
Side Effects of Micafungin
Common side effects include:
- difficulty sleeping
- irritation at the site of injection
These are not all of the possible side effects of micafungin. For more information ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.