Whole Foods Market is recalling cheese sold in Arizona, California and Hawaii that came from its supplier Bleating Heart Cheeses because it has the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems.Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women. Consumers should seek immediate medical care if they develop these symptoms.
The recalled cheese was cut and packaged in clear plastic wrap and sold with Whole Foods Market scale labels. Whole Foods Market decided to recall the cheeses after its supplier, Bleating Heart Cheese, issued a recall due to possible Listeria monocytogenes. The following Bleating Heart Cheese products are included in this recall:
- Shepardista, PLU# 254704, all sell by dates up to and including Jan 20, 2015
- Goldette Tommette, PLU# 250302, all sell by dates up to and including Jan 20, 2015
- Fat Bottom girl, PLU# 254705, all sell by dates up to and including Jan 20, 2015
- Ewelicious, PLU# 299784, all sell by dates up to and including Jan 20, 2015
- Mixtress, PLU# 299785, all sell by dates up to and including Jan 20, 2015
- Moolicious, PLU# 299648, all sell by dates up to and including Jan 20, 2015
No illnesses or infections have been reported to date. Signage is posted to notify customers of this recall, and all affected product has been removed from shelves.
Consumers who have purchased this product from Whole Foods Market stores may bring their receipt to the store for a full refund. Consumers with questions should contact their local store or call 512-477-5566 ext. 20060 between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST.