Trick But Don't Ruin My Treat

Allergens can be found throughout traditional Halloween fare

/ Author:  / Reviewed by: Joseph V. Madia, MD

(RxWiki News) Halloween's just around the corner. Along with planning the costume and candy shopping, parents and children should be watchful of other October allergens lurking around.

A group of allergists have a list of six Halloween allergens to keep an eye on. These doctors recommend families see an allergist and create a plan on what to do if food allergies kick in.

Additionally, these doctors suggest giving out non-candy treats like stickers and small toys.

"Go to an allergist to see what you're allergic to."

For one, the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology note that gelatin can be an allergen. Those few who have the allergy should watch for innocent treats like gummy bears.

“Parents that have a child with a food allergy know to carefully inspect Halloween candy, but they may overlook other common holiday items that can cause allergy and asthma symptoms,” said allergist Stanley Fineman, MD, president of the ACAAI, in a press release.

“There are several steps parents should take to ensure their child remains healthy and symptom-free no matter the season.”

Costumes with nickel in the accessories could make skin itch, they say. The metal can be found in pirate swords, tiaras, wands, and cowboy belts.

And be extra diligent when dusting out costumes that had been put away since last year. Dust mites can be hidden in the clothes and trigger allergies and asthma.

Allergists say to wash the costumes or shop for a new one.

Speaking of asthma, be mindful of fog, both real and from fog machines, which can lead to wheezing and trouble breathing.

Along with the costumes and accessories, cheaply made makeup may have preservatives that cause itchy skin.

ACAAI recommends testing the makeup on a small area of skin several days before Halloween.

It can take a few days for some reaction to appear, like a rash or swelling, or just opt for higher quality theatre makeup.

Finally, some kiddos and adults may be allergic to pumpkins.

Though they're rare, jack-o-lanterns can cause everything from "itching to chest tightness and can pop up quite suddenly, even if you haven’t had a problem before," the organization said in a press release.

The organization says to consider buying pumpkins from a grocery store since pumpkin patches can be moldy and dusty.

ACAAI and its members are experts at diagnosing and treating allergies and asthma.
 

Reviewed by: 
Review Date: 
October 4, 2012
Last Updated:
October 7, 2012