Forfivo XL treats depression. For treating depression, it may take several weeks for you to feel the benefit of this medication. Forfivo XL can cause changes in behavior.
Forfivo XL Overview
Forfivo XL is a prescription medication used to treat depression. Forfivo XL belongs to a group of drugs called antidepressants, which work by affecting certain natural chemicals in the brain.
This medication comes in extended-release tablets and is usually taken once daily, with or without food.
Swallow tablets whole. Do not chew, divide, or crush tablets.
Common side effects include dry mouth, nausea and trouble sleeping.
This medication can also cause dizziness. Do not drive or operate heavy machinery until you know how this medication affects you.
Patient Ratings for Forfivo
How was your experience with Forfivo?
Forfivo XL Cautionary Labels
Uses of Forfivo XL
Forfivo XL is a prescription medication used to treat depression.
This medication may be prescribed for other uses. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Forfivo XL Drug Class
Forfivo XL is part of the drug class:
Side Effects of Forfivo XL
The most common side effects are:
- dry mouth
- nausea and vomiting
- trouble sleeping
- fast heartbeat
- heavy sweating
If you have nausea, take your medicine with food.
Forfivo XL can cause serious side effects (see "Black Box Warning" and "Drug Precautions").
If you have trouble sleeping, do not take your medicine too close to bedtime.
Forfivo XL Interactions
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Especially tell your doctor if you take:
- MAO inhibitors (isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam, Zelapar), and tranylcypromine (Parnate))
- Antivirals such as ritonavir, lopinavir, efavirenz
- Medications used to treat seizures such as carbamazepine, phenobarbital, and phenytoin
- Dopaminergic Drugs (levodopa and amantadine)
- Beta blockers such as metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol XL)
- Medications for irregular heartbeat such as flecainide and propafenone
- Medications for mental illness such as haloperidol (Haldol), risperidone (Risperdal), and thioridazine (Mellaril)
- Medications for seizures such as carbamazepine (Tegretol), phenobarbital (Luminal, Solfoton), and phenytoin (Dilantin)
- Other antidepressants such as desipramine (Norpramin), imipramine (Tofranil), nortriptyline (Aventyl, Pamelor), paroxetine (Paxil) and sertraline (Zoloft), fluoxetine (Prozac)
This is not a complete list of all drug interactions of Forfivo XL. Ask your doctor for more information.
Forfivo XL Precautions
Serious side effects can occur which include:
- Seizure: There is a chance of having a seizure (convulsion, fit) with this medication, especially in people with certain medical problems or who take certain medicines.
- High blood pressure (hypertension): Some people get high blood pressure, that can be severe, while taking Forfivo XL. The chance of high blood pressure may be higher if you also use nicotine replacement therapy (such as a nicotine patch) to help you stop smoking.
- Manic episodes. Symptoms may include greatly increased energy, severe trouble sleeping, racing thoughts, reckless behavior, unusually grand ideas, excessive happiness or irritability, and talking more or faster than usual.
- Vision problems. Symptoms may include eye pain, changes in vision, swelling or redness in or around the eye.
- Unusual thoughts or behaviors: Some patients have unusual thoughts or behaviors while taking Forfivo XL, including delusions (believe you are someone else), hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there), paranoia (feeling that people are against you), or feeling confused. If this happens to you, call your doctor.
- Severe allergic reactions: Some people have severe allergic reactions to Forfivo XL. Stop taking Forfivo XL and call your doctor right away if you get a rash, itching, hives, fever, swollen lymph glands, painful sores in the mouth or around the eyes, swelling of the lips or tongue, chest pain, or have trouble breathing. These could be signs of a serious allergic reaction.
Do not take this medication if you:
- are allergic to the active ingredient in Forfivo XL or to any of the inactive ingredients.
- have or had an eating disorder such as anorexia nervosa or bulimia.
- have or had a seizure disorder or epilepsy.
- are taking any other form of bupropion already
- drink a lot of alcohol and abruptly stop drinking, or use medicines called sedatives (these make you sleepy) or benzodiazepines and you stop using them all of a sudden.
- have taken within the last 14 days medicine for depression called a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI), such as Nardil (phenelzine), Parnate (tranylcypromine), or Marplan (isocarboxazid).
Do not drink a lot of alcohol while taking Forfivo XL. If you usually drink a lot of alcohol, talk with your doctor before suddenly stopping. If you suddenly stop drinking alcohol, you may increase your risk of having seizures.
Do not drive a car or use heavy machinery until you know how this medication affects you. Forfivo XL can impair your ability to perform these tasks.
Forfivo XL Food Interactions
Medicines can interact with certain foods. In some cases, this may be harmful and your doctor may advise you to avoid certain foods. In the case of Forfivo XL there are no specific foods that you must exclude from your diet when receiving Forfivo XL.
Tell your doctor about your other medical conditions including if you:
- are allergic to Forfivo XL or to any of its ingredients.
- have ever had depression, suicidal thoughts or actions, or other mental health problems.
- have liver problems, especially cirrhosis of the liver.
- have kidney problems.
- have an eating disorder, such as anorexia nervosa or bulimia.
- have had a head injury.
- have had a seizure (convulsion, fit).
- have a tumor in your nervous system (brain or spine).
- have had a heart attack, heart problems, or high blood pressure.
- have diabetes and use insulin or other medicines to control your blood sugar.
- drink alcohol.
- abuse prescription medicines or street drugs.
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if Forfivo XL can harm your unborn baby.
- are breastfeeding. Forfivo XL passes through your milk. It is not known if Forfivo XL can harm your baby.
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Many medicines increase your chances of having seizures or other serious side effects if you take them while you are using Forfivo XL.
Forfivo XL and Pregnancy
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
The FDA categorizes medications based on safety for use during pregnancy. Five categories - A, B, C, D, and X, are used to classify the possible risks to an unborn baby when a medication is taken during pregnancy.
This medication falls into category C. In animal studies, pregnant animals were given this medication and had some babies born with problems. Therefore, this medication may be used if the potential benefits to the mother outweigh the potential risks to the unborn child.
Forfivo XL and Lactation
Tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. Forfivo XL passes through your milk. It is not known if this medication can harm your baby.
Forfivo XL Usage
Take Forfivo XL exactly as prescribed by your doctor.
- Take Forfivo XL at the same time each day.
- Take Forfivo XL once daily, with or without food.
- Do not chew, cut, or crush Forfivo XL tablets.
- Do not take any other medicines while using Forfivo XL unless your doctor has told you it is okay.
- For treating depression, it may take several weeks for you to feel Forfivo XL is working. Once you feel better, it is important to keep taking Forfivo XL exactly as directed by your doctor. Call your doctor if you do not feel Forfivo XL is working for you.
- Do not change your dose or stop taking Forfivo XL without talking with your doctor first.
Do not drink alcohol while taking this medication.
Forfivo XL can impair your ability to do these things safely. Do not drive a car or use heavy machinery until you know how this medication affects you.
Forfivo XL Dosage
Take this medication exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully.
The dose your doctor recommends may be based on the following:
- how you respond to this medication
- your kidney function
- your liver function
The recommended starting of Forfivo XL (bupropion hydrochloride) tablets is 450 mg once a day. Your healthcare provider will have started you on a smaller dose and increase the dose as needed.
Forfivo XL Overdose
If you take too much Forfivo XL call your healthcare provider or local Poison Control Center, or seek emergency medical attention right away.
If Forfivo XL is administered by a healthcare provider in a medical setting, it is unlikely that an overdose will occur. However, if overdose is suspected, seek emergency medical attention.
- Store Forfivo XL at between 68°F to 77°F (20°C to 25°C).
- Keep this medication and all medications out of the reach of children.
- Store out of direct sunlight.
- Keep Forfivo XL in its tightly closed bottle.
Forfivo XL FDA Warning
WARNING: SUICIDAL THOUGHTS AND BEHAVIORS; AND NEUROPSYCHIATRIC REACTIONS
- Increased risk of suicidal thinking and behavior in children, adolescents, and young adults taking antidepressants.
- Monitor for worsening and emergence of suicidal thoughts and behaviors.
- Serious neuropsychiatric events have been reported in patients taking bupropion for smoking cessation.