Vigamox treats bacterial conjunctivitis (eye inflammation) caused by certain kinds of bacteria. Do not wear contact lenses if you signs/symptoms of bacterial conjunctivitis.
Vigamox is a prescription medication used to treat bacterial conjunctivitis (eye inflammation) caused by certain kinds of bacteria.
Vigamox belongs to a group of drugs called fluoroquinolone antibiotics, which help to kill bacteria in the body by inhibiting a bacterial enzyme called DNA-gyrase.
This medication comes in the form of eye drops. One drop is instilled into the affected eyes(s) 3 times daily for 7 days.
Common side effects of Vigamox include eye irritation, fever, and eye inflammation.
How was your experience with Vigamox?
Vigamox Cautionary Labels
Uses of Vigamox
Vigamox eye solution is a prescription medication used to treat bacterial conjunctivitis (eye inflammation) caused by certain kinds of bacteria.
This medication may be prescribed for other uses. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Side Effects of Vigamox
Common side effects of Vigamox eye drops include eye irritation, fever, and eye inflammation.
This is not a complete list of Vigamox side effects. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
No drug interactions have been conducted by the manufacturer. However, you should tell your doctor about all the medicines you take including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Not all drug interactions are known or reported and new drug interactions are continually being reported.
- Vigamox eye drops are for use on the eyes only.
- As with other antibiotics, long-term use may result in overgrowth of bacteria or fungi that cannot be treated with Vigamox. If this occurs, stop use and seek alternative therapy
- Do not wear contact lenses if you still have signs or symptoms of bacterial conjunctivitis. Signs or symptoms include redness, swelling, and mucus discharge of the eye.
- Vigamox can cause a hypersensitivity reaction (severe allergic reaction). Tell your healthcare provider about any signs or symptoms of hypersensitivity, which include the following:
- chest pain
- swelling of the face, eyes, lips, tongue, arms, or legs
- difficulty breathing or swallowing
Do not use Vigamox if you are allergic to Vigamox or any of its ingredients.
Vigamox Food Interactions
Medicines can interact with certain foods. In some cases, this may be harmful and your doctor may advise you to avoid certain foods. In the case of Vigamox there are no specific foods that you must exclude from your diet when receiving Vigamox.
Before receiving Vigamox, tell your doctor about all your medical conditions, including if you:
- are breastfeeding or plan on breastfeeding
- are pregnant or plan on becoming pregnant
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take including prescription or non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Vigamox and Pregnancy
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
The FDA categorizes medications based on safety for use during pregnancy. Five categories - A, B, C, D, and X, are used to classify the possible risks to an unborn baby when a medication is taken during pregnancy.
This medication falls into category C. There are no well-controlled studies have been done in humans. Therefore, this medication may be used if the potential benefits to the mother outweigh the potential risks to the unborn child.
Vigamox and Lactation
Tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if Vigamox passes into breast milk or if it will harm your baby. Caution should be exercised when Vigamox solution is administered to a nursing mother.
Vigamox comes in the form of eye drops.
Instill 1 drop in the affected eye(s) 2 times daily for 7 days.
Use Vigamox exactly as prescribed by your doctor.
Instill 1 drop in the affected eye(s) 3 times daily for 7 days.
If you use too much this medication, call your healthcare provider or local Poison Control Center, or seek emergency medical attention right away.
- Store Vigamox at 2°C- 25°C (36°F - 77°F).
- Keep Vigamox and all medicines out of the reach of children.