Purpose of Tagamet HB
Tagamet HB is an over-the-counter medication used to prevent and treat heartburn associated with acid indigestion and sour stomach. Acid indigestion and sour stomach may be due to eating or drinking certain foods and beverages.
cimetidine 200 mg
cellulose, corn starch, hypromellose, magnesium stearate, polyethylene glycol, polysorbate 80, povidone, sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium starch glycolate, titanium dioxide
Tagamet HB FDA Warning
Allergy alert: Do not use if you are allergic to cimetidine or other acid reducers.
Do not use:
- if you have trouble or pain swallowing food, vomiting with blood, or bloody or black stools. These may be signs of a serious condition. See your doctor.
- with other acid reducers
Ask a doctor before use if you have:
- frequent chest pain
- frequent wheezing, particularly with heartburn
- unexplained weight loss
- nausea or vomiting
- stomach pain
- had heartburn over 3 months. This may be a sign of a more serious condition.
- heartburn with lightheadedness, sweating or dizziness
- chest pain or shoulder pain with shortness of breath; sweating; pain spreading to arms, neck or shoulders; or lightheadedness
Ask a doctor or pharmacist before use if you are taking:
- theophylline (THEO-DUR, Theochron, Slo-Bid, Uniphyl, Theo-24)
- warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven)
- phenytoin (Dilantin)
If you are not sure you are taking one of these medicines, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Drug Interaction Warnings:
- Tagamet HB 200 may interfere with the action of drugs prescribed by your doctor. Check with your doctor before taking Tagamet HB 200 if you are taking blood thinning medication (warfarin) or drugs prescribed for asthma (theophylline) or epilepsy (phenytoin).
- There may be other medicines that contain one of these ingredients. If in doubt about this or about possible effects of Tagamet HB 200 on any other medicines you are taking, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
- Read the directions and warnings before taking this medication.
Stop use and ask a doctor if:
- your heartburn continues or worsens
- stomach pain continues
- you need to take this product for more than 14 days
- pregnant or breast-feeding, ask a health professional before use
Keep out of reach of children.
In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away (1-800-222-1222).
For adults and children 12 years and over:
- To relieve symptoms, swallow 1 tablet with a glass of water.
- To prevent symptoms, swallow 1 tablet with a glass of water right before or any time up to 30 minutes before eating food or drinking beverages that cause heartburn.
- Do not take more than 2 tablets in 24 hours.
For children under 12 years, ask a doctor.
Other Information About Tagamet HB
- Store at room temperature 15°-30°C (59°-86°F).
- Each tablet individually sealed in a blister pack. Do not use if blister or foil is open or torn.