Best Treatments for Childhood Leukemia
Over the last few decades, the ability of doctors to successfully treat childhood leukemias has risen dramatically. For the small group of patients that don't respond to initial therapy, figuring out why has become an important research topic.
A Double Negative Effect on Lymphoma
Cancer cells are extremely versatile and adaptable. They find ways to wiggle out of any attempts to restrain them. Researchers are working with the very mechanism that cancer uses to avoid death to develop a potentially powerful therapy for lymphoma.
From Fish to Pharmacy
Genetic experiments have come a long way from growing peas. A new line of testing created a zebrafish with cells that can glow under certain conditions, which helps scientists figure out what drug is the best at killing cancer cells.
New Drug Target for Acute Myeloid Leukemia
Researchers are always looking for new ways to selectively attack cancers while leaving healthy cells alone, as many of the most common treatments for cancer involve some unfortunate friendly fire.
Inflammation and Cancer
The link between inflammation and cancer has been used to advertise everything from fish oil to aspirin, but the science behind it can be murky. Some new research may show the mechanism behind the link.
Stemming the Return of Leukemia
Since the advent of targeted therapies, chronic myeloid leukemia ( CML ) has become easier to treat. And while the drugs usually put people into remission, the disease can return with full fury.
Antidepressant Teams up Against Leukemia
Vitamin A derivatives, drugs known as retinoids , have been used successfully to treat certain types of leukemia. Not all forms of the disease respond to them, though. Scientists have discovered that adding another medication may overcome this resistance.
Gene to Blame for Drug Resistance
Targeted drugs work by attacking and shutting down the molecular activities that keep cancers thriving and growing. These drugs have saved the lives of thousands of people with cancer. But they don't work in some people.
Chemo Gets the Job Done Alone
A long-term risk analysis of Hodgkin lymphoma patients shows that the traditional practice of using radiation together with chemotherapy may be too much, causing more problems without extending life expectancy.
Safer Treatment for Skin Lymphoma
Part of the process of developing and testing drugs involves seeing if treatments work in similar conditions, and science is full of surprises.
- Gleevec (30) Apply Gleevec filter
- Sprycel (16) Apply Sprycel filter
- Tasigna (15) Apply Tasigna filter
- Bosutinib (7) Apply Bosutinib filter
- Revlimid (6) Apply Revlimid filter
- Rituximab (4) Apply Rituximab filter
- Synribo (3) Apply Synribo filter
- Velcade (3) Apply Velcade filter
- Bosulif (2) Apply Bosulif filter
- Cyclophosphamide (2) Apply Cyclophosphamide filter
- Iclusig (2) Apply Iclusig filter
- Ponatinib (2) Apply Ponatinib filter
- Doxorubicin (1) Apply Doxorubicin filter
- Enbrel (1) Apply Enbrel filter
- Humira (1) Apply Humira filter
- Imuran (1) Apply Imuran filter
- Kyprolis (1) Apply Kyprolis filter
- Mustargen (1) Apply Mustargen filter
- Nexavar (1) Apply Nexavar filter
- Omapro (1) Apply Omapro filter
- Prograf (1) Apply Prograf filter
- Protopic (1) Apply Protopic filter
- Rituxan (1) Apply Rituxan filter
- Sutent (1) Apply Sutent filter
- Toposar (1) Apply Toposar filter
- Treanda (1) Apply Treanda filter
- Zelboraf (1) Apply Zelboraf filter
- (-) Remove Cancer filter Cancer
- Brain Cancer (4) Apply Brain Cancer filter
- Muscle Soft Tissue Cancer (3) Apply Muscle Soft Tissue Cancer filter
- Bone Cancer (2) Apply Bone Cancer filter
- Breast Cancer Female (2) Apply Breast Cancer Female filter
- Cervical Cancer (2) Apply Cervical Cancer filter
- Lung Cancer (2) Apply Lung Cancer filter
- Prostate Cancer (2) Apply Prostate Cancer filter
- Skin Cancer (2) Apply Skin Cancer filter
- Stomach Cancer (2) Apply Stomach Cancer filter
- Colon Cancer (1) Apply Colon Cancer filter
- Esophageal Cancer (1) Apply Esophageal Cancer filter
- Oral Cancer (1) Apply Oral Cancer filter
- Thyroid Cancer (1) Apply Thyroid Cancer filter
- (-) Remove Hematology filter Hematology
- Pediatrics (9) Apply Pediatrics filter
- Gastrointestinal (4) Apply Gastrointestinal filter
- Infectious Disease (4) Apply Infectious Disease filter
- Mental Health (4) Apply Mental Health filter
- Cardiovascular (3) Apply Cardiovascular filter
- Diabetes (3) Apply Diabetes filter
- Healthy Eating and Diet (3) Apply Healthy Eating and Diet filter
- Patient Safety Education (3) Apply Patient Safety Education filter
- Allergies (1) Apply Allergies filter
- Eye Disease (1) Apply Eye Disease filter
- Mens Health (1) Apply Mens Health filter
- Neuromuscular Disease (1) Apply Neuromuscular Disease filter
- Obstetrics/Gynecology (1) Apply Obstetrics/Gynecology filter
- Rheumatic Disease (1) Apply Rheumatic Disease filter
- Womens Health (1) Apply Womens Health filter
- (-) Remove Cancer filter Cancer