Zytiga (generic: abiraterone) is a prescription medication used to treat prostate cancer that has spread to other parts of the body. Zytiga belongs to a group of drugs called CYP17 inhibitors, which work by decreasing the amount of testosterone in the body. Testosterone stimulates prostate cancer cells to grow.
This medication comes in tablet form and is taken once a day, without food.
Common side effects of Zytiga include joint swelling or pain, muscle aches, hot flushes, and diarrhea.
Zytiga is a prescription medication approved to treat men advanced prostate cancer that has spread to other areas of the body, and that has not responded to other medical or surgical treatments. Zytiga is used in combination with prednisone.
This medication may be prescribed for other uses. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Zytiga may cause serious side effects including:
- High blood pressure (hypertension), low blood potassium levels (hypokalemia) and fluid retention (edema). Tell your healthcare provider if you get any of the following symptoms:
- fast heartbeats
- feel faint or lightheaded
- muscle weakness
- pain in your legs
- swelling in your legs or feet
- Adrenal problems may happen if you stop taking prednisone, get an infection, or are under stress.
- Liver problems. Your healthcare provider will do blood tests to check your liver before treatment with Zytiga and during treatment with Zytiga.
The most common side effects of Zytiga include:
- joint swelling or pain
- muscle aches
- hot flushes
- urinary tract infection
- irregular heartbeats
- urinate more often than normal
- need to get up at night to urinate
- cold like symptoms
- bone fractures
Tell your healthcare provider if you have any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away.
These are not all the possible side effects of Zytiga. For more information, ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist.
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Especially tell your doctor if you take:
- antifungal medicines such as itraconazole (Sporanox), ketoconazole (Nizoral), and voriconazole (Vfend);
- clarithromycin (Biaxin, in Prevpac);
- HIV protease inhibitors including atazanavir (Reyataz), indinavir (Crixivan), nelfinavir (Viracept), ritonavir (Norvir, in Kaletra), and saquinavir (Fortovase, Invirase);
- carbamazepine (Carbatrol, Epitol, Tegretol);
- phenobarbital (Luminal);
- phenytoin (Dilantin, Phenytek);
- rifabutin (Mycobutin);
- rifampin (Rifadin, in Rifamate, in Rifater, Rimactane);
- rifapentine (Priftin);
- telithromycin (Ketek);
This is not a complete list of Zytiga drug interactions. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Zytiga is not for use in women or children. Do not take Zytiga if you are pregnant or may become pregnant. Zytiga may harm your unborn baby.
Medicines can interact with certain foods. In some cases, this may be harmful and your doctor may advise you to avoid certain foods. In the case of Zytiga there are no specific foods that you must exclude from your diet when receiving Zytiga.
Before you take Zytiga, tell your healthcare provider if you:
- have heart problems
- have liver problems
- have a history of adrenal and/or pituitary problems
- have any other medical conditions
- plan to become pregnant.
- are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed.
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Zytiga can interact with many other medicines.
Zytiga is not for use in women or children.
Do not take Zytiga if you are pregnant or may become pregnant. Zytiga may harm your unborn baby.
Women who are pregnant or who may become pregnant should not touch Zytiga without protection, such as gloves.
Tell your healthcare provider if you are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if Zytiga passes into your breast milk. You and your healthcare provider should decide if you will take Zytiga or breastfeed. You should not do both.
- Take Zytiga and prednisone exactly as your healthcare provider tells you.
- The usual dose of Zytiga is four tablets taken once daily.
- Your healthcare provider may change your dose if needed.
- Do not stop taking your prescribed dose of Zytiga or prednisone without talking with your healthcare provider first.
- Take Zytiga on an empty stomach. Do not take Zytiga with food. Taking Zytiga with food may cause more of the medicine to be absorbed by the body than is needed and this may cause side effects.
- No food should be eaten 2 hours before and 1 hour after taking Zytiga.
- Swallow Zytiga tablets whole.
- Take Zytiga tablets with water.
- Men who are sexually active with a pregnant woman must use a condom during and for one week after treatment with Zytiga. If their sexual partner may become pregnant, a condom and another form of birth control must be used during and for one week after treatment with Zytiga. Talk with your healthcare provider if you have questions about birth control.
- If you miss a dose of Zytiga or prednisone, take your prescribed dose the following day. If you miss more than 1 dose, tell your healthcare provider right away.
- Your healthcare provider will do blood tests to check for side effects.
Take Zytiga exactly as prescribed. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully.
The recommended dose of Zytiga is 1,000 mg (four 250 mg tablets) administered orally once daily in combination with prednisone 5 mg administered orally twice daily. Zytiga must be taken on an empty stomach. No food should be consumed for at least two hours before the dose of Zytiga is taken and for at least one hour after the dose of Zytiga is taken. The tablets should be swallowed whole with water.
If you take too much Zytiga, call your local Poison Control Center or seek emergency medical attention right away.
Zytiga is available as 250 mg tablets.
Active ingredient: abiraterone acetate
Inactive ingredients: lactose monohydrate, microcrystalline cellulose, croscarmellose sodium, povidone, sodium lauryl sulfate, magnesium stearate and colloidal silicon dioxide.
- Store Zytiga at 59°F to 86°F (15°C to 30°C).
Keep Zytiga and all medicines out of the reach of children.