Purpose of Zegerid OTC
Zegerid OTC is an over-the-counter medication used to treat heartburn that occurs 2 or more days a week.
Omeprazole 20 mg and sodium bicarbonate 1100 mg
Croscarmellose sodium, FD&C blue No. 1, gelatin, magnesium stearate, pharmaceutical ink, polysorbate 80, titanium dioxide
Zegerid OTC FDA Warning
Allergy Alert: do not use if you are allergic to omeprazole or any other ingredients of Zegerid OTC.
Do not use if you have:
- pain or trouble swallowing
- vomiting with blood
- bloody or black stools
These may be signs of a serious condition. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, seek medical attention right away.
Consult a physician before use if you have:
- had heartburn for over 3 months (this may be a sign of a more serious condition)
- heartburn with lightheadedness, sweating or dizziness
- chest or shoulder pain along with shortness of breath, sweating, pain spreading to the arms, neck or shoulders, or lightheadedness
- frequent chest pain
- frequent wheezing, along with heartburn symptoms
- unexplained weight loss
- nausea or vomiting
- stomach pain
- a sodium-restricted diet
Consult a physician or pharmacist before use if you are taking:
- Coumadin (warfarin), Plavix (clopidogrel), or Pletal (cilostazol)
- prescription antifungal or anti-yeast medications
- Valium (diazepam) - anxiety medication
- Lanoxin (digoxin) - heart medication
- Prograf (tacrolimus) - immune system medication
- prescription HIV medications
- any other prescription medications, a component of Zegerid OTC may interact with certain medications
Stop use and consult a physician if:
- your heartburn continues or worsens
- you need to use this product for more than 14 days
- you need to take more than 1 course of treatment every 4 months
If pregnant or breastfeeding, consult a health professional before use.
Keep out of reach of children.
In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away (1-800-222-1222).
For adults 18 years of age and older:
- This product is to be used once daily (every 24 hours), every day for 14 days.
- Allow up to 4 days for full effect, although some people may get complete relief within 24 hours.
14-Day Therapy Course
- Take one capsule at least 60 minutes before eating in the morning.
- Take daily for 14 days.
- Do not take more than 1 capsule in 24 hours
- Do not crush, chew, or open capsule and sprinkle on food.
- Do not use for more than 14 days unless directed by a physician.
Repeated 14-day Therapy Course (if needed)
- You may repeat a 14-day course every 4 months.
- Do not take for more than 14 days or more often than every 4 months unless directed by a physician.
For children under 18 years of age, ask a doctor.
Heartburn in children may sometimes be caused by a serious condition.
Other Information About Zegerid OTC
- Each capsule contains 303 mg of sodium.
- Read the directions, warnings, and accompanying label information before use.
- Store at room temperature between 20°-25°C (68°-77°F) in a cool, dry place.
- Keep product out of high heat, humidity and moisture.
- Tamper-evident. Do not use if:
- blue band around the capsule is missing or broken
- foil under cap, printed with “Sealed for your protection” is missing, open or broken