Vesicare (generic: solifenacin) is a prescription medication used to treat symptoms of an overactive bladder in adults. Vesicare belongs to a group of drugs called antimuscarinic medications, which help the bladder muscles to relax.
This medication comes in tablet form and is taken once a day, with or without food.
Common side effects of Vesicare include dry mouth, constipation, and urinary tract infections. Vesicare can cause blurred vision or drowsiness.
Vesicare is a prescription medication used to treat the symptoms of overactive bladder in adults.
Symptoms treated are:
- frequent urination
- urination leaking accidents
This medication may be prescribed for other uses. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Vesicare may cause serious side effects including:
- Serious allergic reaction. Stop taking Vesicare and get medical help right away if you have:
- hives, skin rash or swelling
- severe itching
- swelling of your face, mouth or tongue
- trouble breathing
The most common side effects of Vesicare include:
- dry mouth
- constipation. Call your doctor if you get severe stomach area (abdominal) pain or become constipated for 3 or more days.
- urinary tract infection
- blurred vision
- heat exhaustion or heat-stroke. This can happen when Vesicare is used in hot environments. Symptoms may include:
- decreased sweating
- increase in body temperature
Tell your doctor if you have any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away.
These are not all the possible side effects of Vesicare. For more information, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Tell your doctor about the medicines you take including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Especially tell your doctor if you take:
- amiodarone (Cordarone, Pacerone);
- antifungals such as fluconazole (Diflucan), itraconazole (Sporanox), and ketoconazole (Nizoral);
- carbamazepine (Tegretol);
- cimetidine (Tagamet);
- cisapride (Propulsid);
- clarithromycin (Biaxin);
- cyclosporine (Neoral, Sandimmune);
- danazol (Danocrine);
- delavirdine (Rescriptor);
- dexamethasone (Decadron);
- diltiazem (Cardizem, Dilacor, Tiazac);
- disopyramide (Norpace);
- dofetilide (Tikosyn);
- erythromycin (E.E.S., E-Mycin, Erythrocin);
- ethosuximide (Zarontin);
- fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem);
- fluvoxamine (Luvox);
- HIV protease inhibitors such as indinavir (Crixivan) and ritonavir (Norvir);
- isoniazid (INH, Nydrazid);
- metronidazole (Flagyl); moxifloxacin (Avelox);
- phenobarbital (Luminal, Solfoton);
- phenytoin (Dilantin);
- pimozide (Orap);
- procainamide (Procanbid, Pronestyl);
- quinidine (Quinaglute, Quinidex);
- rifabutin (Mycobutin);
- rifampin (Rifadin, Rimactane);
- sotalol (Betapace);
- sparfloxacin (Zagam);
- thioridazine (Mellaril);
- troglitazone (Rezulin);
- troleandomycin (TAO);
- verapamil (Calan, Covera, Isoptin, Verelan);
- zafirlukast (Accolate).
This is not a complete list of Vesicare drug interactions. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Vesicare can cause blurred vision or drowsiness. Do not drive or operate heavy machinery until you know how Vesicare affects you.
Vesicare can cause a serious allergic reaction. Stop taking Vesicare and get medical help right away if you have:
- hives or swelling
- severe itching
- diffifulty breathing
Grapefruit and grapefruit juice may interact with Vesicare and lead to potentially dangerous effects. Discuss the use of grapefruit products with your doctor.
Before you take Vesicare, tell your doctor if you:
- have any stomach or intestinal problems or problems with constipation
- have trouble emptying your bladder or you have a weak urine stream
- have an eye problem called "narrow angle glaucoma"
- have liver problems
- have kidney problems
- have a rare heart problem called "QT prolongation"
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if Vesicare will harm your unborn baby. Talk to your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
- are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if Vesicare passes into your breast milk. You and your doctor should decide if you will take Vesicare or breastfeed. You should not do both.
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Vesicare may affect the way other medicines work, and other medicines may affect how Vesicare works.
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if Vesicare will harm your unborn baby. Talk to your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if Vesicare passes into your breast milk. You and your doctor should decide if you will take Vesicare or breastfeed. You should not do both.
- Take Vesicare exactly as your doctor tells you to take it.
- You should take 1 Vesicare tablet 1 time a day.
- You should take Vesicare with water and swallow the tablet whole.
- You can take Vesicare with or without food.
- If you miss a dose of Vesicare, begin taking Vesicare again the next day. Do not take 2 doses of Vesicare the same day.
- If you take too much Vesicare, call your doctor or go to the nearest hospital emergency room right away.
Take Vesicare exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully. Your doctor will determine the best dose for you.
The recommended dose of Vesicare is 5 mg once daily. If the 5 mg dose is well tolerated, the dose may be increased to 10 mg once daily.
If you take too much Vesicare, call your local Poison Control Center or seek emergency medical attention right away.
Vesicare is available in 5 mg and 10 mg tablets.
Active ingredient: solifenacin succinate
Inactive ingredients: lactose monohydrate, corn starch, hypromellose 2910, magnesium stearate, talc, polyethylene glycol 8000 and titanium dioxide with yellow ferric oxide (5 mg Vesicare tablet) or red ferric oxide (10 mg Vesicare tablet)
- Store Vesicare at 59°F to 86°F (15°C to 30°C). Keep the bottle closed.
- Safely throw away medicine that is out of date or that you no longer need.
- Keep Vesicare and all medicines out of the reach of children.