Oasis Brands, Inc. of Miami, FL is recalling select lots of various Lacteos Santa Martha products with Best by dates of 07/01/14 through 12/31/14, because the products have the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
Listeria monocytogenes is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
The recalled products were distributed in Florida, Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina from April 1st thought October 14, 2014 to distributors and retail stores. The products can be identified by the batch ID code (best used by date) sticker on the label of the plastic bag of 07/01/14 through 12/31/14.
- Queso Seco Centroamericano (Dry White Cheese) 1Lb: UPC 876593 001874
- Queso Seco Olanchano (Dry Cheese) 1Lb: UPC 635349 000840
- Queso Seco Hondureno (Dry Cheese) 12oz: UPC 876593 001690
- Quesito Casero (Fresh Curd) 12oz: UPC 635349 000406
- My Queso (Latin Flavor Cheese) 1Lb: UPC 635349 000406
- Queso Cuzcatlan (Salvadorean Flavor Cheese) 1Lb: UPC 635349 000406
- Queso para Freir (Cheese for Frying) 12oz: UPC 635349 000758
- Queso Fresco (Fresh Cheese) 12oz: UPC 635349 000703
- Cuajada en Hoja Queso Casero Hecho a Mano (Fresh Curd) 12oz: UPC 635349 000895
- Crema Centroamericana (Soft Blend Dairy Spread) 1Lb: UPC 876593 001898
- Mantequilla Hondurena (Honduran Style Cream) 1Lb: UPC 635349 000772
- Crema Nica (Grade A Cultured Cream) 1Lb: UPC 635349 000468
- HonduCrema Olanchana (Olanchana Style Soft Blend Dairy Spread) 1Lb: UPC 635349 000598
- Crema Guatemalteca (Guatemalan Style Cream) 1Lb: UPC 635349 000819
- Crema GuateLinda (Guatemalan Style Cream) 1Lb: UPC 635349 000390
- Crema Cuzcatlan (Salvadorean Style Cream) 1Lb: UPC 635349 000444
FDA is investigating illnesses associated with the product.
The recall is the result of routine sampling by The Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Food Inspectors and subsequent FDA environmental samples that revealed the presence of Listeria monocytogenes. The company ceased production and distribution of the product as FDA and the company continue their investigation as to what caused the problem.
Consumers who have purchased the Lacteos Santa Martha products are urged to return it to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company at (305) 599-0225 Monday thru Friday 9:00 am - 4:30 pm EST.