Cardura XL is used to treat enlarged prostate. It does not shrink the prostate. Works by relaxing bladder and prostate muscles to allow urine to flow easily.
Cardura XL Overview
Cardura XL is a prescription medication used to treat symptoms of enlarged prostate. Cardura XL belongs to a group of drugs called alpha-blockers. Cardura XL also relieves the symptoms of enlarged prostate by relaxing the muscles of the bladder and prostate.
This medication comes in an extended-release tablet form and is taken once a day in the morning, with breakfast.
Swallow Cardura XL tablets whole. Do not chew, divide, cut, or crush tablets.
Common side effects of Cardura XL include dizziness, fatigue, and drowsiness. Do not drive or operate machinery until you know how Cardura XL will affect you.
Patient Ratings for
How was your experience with ?
Cardura XL Cautionary Labels
Uses of Cardura XL
Cardura XL is used to treat signs and symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). Symptoms may include:
- difficulty starting a urine stream (hesitancy and straining)
- decreased strength of the urine stream (weak flow)
- dribbling after urination
- feeling that the bladder is not completely empty
- an urge to urinate again soon after urinating
- waking at night to urinate
- frequent urination
- a sudden, uncontrollable urge to urinate
- burning or pain during urination
This medication may be prescribed for other uses. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Cardura XL Drug Class
Cardura XL is part of the drug class:
Side Effects of Cardura XL
Serious side effects have been reported. See "Drug Precautions" section.
Common side effects include:
- swelling of feet or hands
- difficulty breathing
- low blood pressure
- abnormal vision
- runny nose
- decreased sexual ability
This is not a complete list of Cardura XL side effects. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Cardura XL Interactions
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Especially tell your doctor if you take:
- avanafil (Stendra)
- cimetidine (Tagamet)
- sildenafil (Viagra, Revatio)
- tadalafil (Cialis, Adcirca)
- vardenafil (Levitra, Staxyn)
This is not a complete list of Cardura XL drug interactions. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Cardura XL Precautions
Serious side effects have been reported including:
- Extremely rarely, Cardura XL and similar medications have caused painful erection of the penis, sustained for hours and unrelieved by sexual intercourse or masturbation. This condition, known medically as priapism, is serious, and if untreated it can be followed by permanent inability to have an erection. If you have a prolonged abnormal erection, call your doctor or go to an emergency room as soon as possible.
- If you plan to have surgery for cataracts (clouding of the eye), tell your surgeon if you take or have taken Cardura XL. During cataract surgery, a condition called Intraoperative Floppy Iris Syndrome (IFIS) can happen if you take or have taken Cardura XL.
- Cardura XL lowers blood pressure and may cause dizziness or fainting, especially when you first start taking it, or when you start taking it again. Call your doctor if you have severe dizziness or feel like you might pass out.
Cardura XL can cause drowsiness. Do not drive or operate heavy machinery until you know how Cardura XL affects you.
Do not take Cardura XL if you:
- are allergic to Cardura XL or any inactive ingredient in this medication
- are allergic to any of the medications related to Cardura XL such as alfuzosin (Uroxatral), prazosin (Minipress), and terazosin (Hytrin)
Cardura XL Food Interactions
Medications can interact with certain foods. In some cases, this may be harmful and your doctor may advise you to avoid certain foods. In the case of Cardura XL , there are no specific foods that you must exclude from your diet when receiving this medication.
Before taking Cardura XL, tell your doctor about all of your medical conditions. Especially tell your doctor if you:
- are allergic to Cardura XL or any inactive ingredient in Cardura XL
- have or have ever had prostate cancer
- have or have ever had liver disease
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Cardura XL and Pregnancy
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
The FDA categorizes medications based on safety for use during pregnancy. Five categories - A, B, C, D, and X, are used to classify the possible risks to an unborn baby when a medication is taken during pregnancy.
Cardura XL falls into category C. There are no good studies in pregnant women. Cardura XL should be used during pregnancy only if the possible benefit outweighs the possible risk to the unborn baby.
Cardura XL and Lactation
Tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding or planning to breastfeed.
It is not known whether Cardura XL crosses into human milk. Because many medications can cross into human milk and because of the possibility for serious adverse reactions in nursing infants with use of this medication, a choice should be made whether to stop nursing or stop the use of this medication. Your doctor and you will decide if the benefits outweigh the risk of using Cardura XL.
Cardura XL Usage
- Take Cardura XL exactly as prescribed.
- Cardura XL comes in an extended-release tablet form and is taken once a day in the morning with breakfast.
- Swallow Cardura XL tablets whole. Do not chew, divide, cut or crush tablets.
- If you miss a dose, take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and take your next dose at the regular time. Do not take two doses of Cardura XL at the same time.
Cardura XL Dosage
Take Cardura XL exactly as prescribed. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully.
The recommended starting dose of Cardura XL is 4 mg once daily, in the morning with breakfast.
The dose can be gradually increased based on how you respond and tolerate Cardura XL. The maximum dose of Cardura XL for the treatment of enlarged prostate is 8 mg per day.
If Cardura XL is discontinued for several days, therapy should be restarted using the 4 mg once daily dose.
Cardura XL Overdose
If you take too much of this medication, call your healthcare provider or local Poison Control Center, or seek emergency medical attention right away.
If this medication is administered by a healthcare provider in a medical setting, it is unlikely that an overdose will occur. However, if overdose is suspected, seek emergency medical attention.
- Store Cardura XL at 25°C (77°F).
- Store away from moisture and heat.
- Keep this and all medications out of the reach of children.